Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The daily adventures of sb

Okay, so here goes another post about my life as a suburban teen. I got my G1 yesterday. I'm happy that I can finally drive (under the supervision of a licensed driver) and happy that I beat my best friends to it. But unfortunately, I wasn't able to attempt yesterday because of the rainy weather. Yesterday, I was also able to finish The Fountainhead. It was one of the books I was determined to read this summer. It turned out to be the best book I have ever read, and is now my favorite. It definitely gives you a lot to think about. It was printed ages ago, but it's no surprise that the message it gives is still relevant today. I almost forgot to mention Chicago. We came back on Monday. I still have to upload pictures, so my next post will be about Chicago in detail.

This was the quote that stood out to me the most in the entire book:

"... Self-sacrifice, we drool, is the ultimate virtue. Let's stop and think for a moment. Is sacrifice a virtue? Can a man sacrifice his integrity? His honor? His freedom? His ideal? His convictions? The honesty of his feelings? The independence of his thoughts? But these are a man's supreme possessions. Anything he gives up for them is not a sacrifice but an easy bargain. They, however, are above sacrificing to any cause or consideration whatsoever. Should we not, then, stop preaching dangerous and vicious nonsense? Self-sacrifice? But it is precisely the self that cannot and must not be sacrificed. It is the unsacrificed self that we must respect in man above all."

No comments: